1.293 acres of land on the site of Hipperholme Grammar Junior School
Hipperholme is an affluent suburb of Halifax where a strong demand for housing exists, and also where relatively premium values are achieved in comparison to other locations within the area.
Both Halifax and Huddersfield are within close proximity while the M62 is also easily accessible.
As a consequence it has become increasingly popular with commuters which has assisted in pushing up both commercial and residential values.
Originally a Liberal Club, the school premises at Wakefield Road, Lightcliffe changed to a small preparatory school in 1915 and for the last 100 years has remained as a school, celebrating its centenary in 2015.
It was established as a centre for high quality education by three generations of the Watkins family. In 1955, the school was bought by Archibald Watkins, his son Philip took over in 1959, and his granddaughter Jackie Pickersgill ran the school from 1979. The site is named after the Watkins family as an acknowledgment of their contribution to the community they served.
In 1992, major extension work was completed which almost doubled the capacity of the school and it was acquired by Hipperholme Grammar School in 2003 to enable them offer end to end education from Nursery through to Sixth Form. The nursery and junior school being on the site at Lightcliffe.
The junior school is now moving to the main Hipperholme Grammar School, enabling the sale of the 0.523 hectare site for development.